Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Going crazy

Anyone else out there whose children are driving them crazy? Mine are, and I am!

Some days, it feels like the demands from Lucinda and Arno are endless - and come endlessly in quick succession.

Some juice, some milk, I want to paint, I need more paint, wash my hands, is my painting dry, I need help cutting paper, where is the glue, is supper ready, I don't like carrots, I want some toast, with butter and jelly, what can I have for dessert, i want some ice cream, I want some cookies, I don't want a banana, I want some apple, where are my Superman jammies, come upstairs with me to get my doggies, is my painting dry, wash the paint off my hands, I want some juice, I want some apple, I want two books, I don't want to go to bed, I want some water, I want another snuggle, why did Lucinda get an extra snuggle?

I was running around all day - went to Costco, bought paper towels and cleaning supplies, long train ride, etc - picked up the children at their winter camp, walked home and called my mom on Skype with the video camera. The kids sang to her, and then, when I wanted to catch up w/her, they started to hum and squabble and generally be annoying. And it drove me nuts!

My friend Susan and I talked about this yesterday, and it really helped both of us feel better. Kids are great, mostly, sort of, but they are really exhausting and sometimes we get angry when we can't live our lives at the pace we want, that we can't be alone when we want, that we can't check our email when we want - and that children are such a demanding and physical presence.

That sounds harsh, but it is also a reality.

No comments: