Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beauty Treatment

Beauty and luxury are taken very seriously in Tokyo, as I've experienced firsthand at a salon down the street from my house. My haircut and color (I have a lot of gray, okay? Why not just admit it.) lasted three hours!

Let's backtrack: At a fancy downtown salon in Seattle, I was lucky if the colorist - usually an apprentice who charged $50 - didn't leave traces of color formula in my ears. I usually felt rushed, probably because I always had to be somewhere else, and I also had to book my haircut six weeks in advance. The Seattle pricetag: Two hours, $125 plus a 20 percent tip, ($25), plus $15 in parking. Total: $165.

The Tokyo salon was amazing by comparison if you can stand devoting three hours to self-indulgence. I planned only to schedule an appointment, and was told my stylist would be in three minutes if I could stay. My beauty team started with a sudsy Aveda shampoo plus head massage for 10 minutes. Then the haircut. Then color, which is practically painted on strand by strand instead of squirted and brushed on as US types do it. Here, the stylist puts small elasticized baggies over my ears to keep them clean.

Here's a ridiculous self-portrait in the chair to show what I'm talking about:



The first time I went in, about 2.5 months after we arrived here, two stylists worked on the color together, presumably because I was in desperate shape. The senior stylist did the front, while the junior guy touched up the back. It was like having surgery! They also spritzed scented oil on a tissue, and placed it over my face during the shampoo.

This time, the stylist finished combing/painting on color and then carefully encased my head in plastic wrap, which he gently pressed onto my scalp. (I might as well show that, too.)





Wait for 20+ minutes to cook it. Then a 25-minute, second shampoo and conditioner (I checked my watch), plus another head massage, then a towel-drying massage and shoulder massage. Then touch-up haircutting. Then the hairdryer. Then he straightened my hair with a hair iron (a new experience - apparently big in Japan.). Then he waited at the door while I collected my coat and thanked and bowed to me as I walked away. That is good service.

Grand total: 14,500 yen, or about $135! There is no tip, because you never tip in Japan, and no parking fee because I rode my bike. And it looks great - 1 week before my 40th birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, Have been reading your blog ever since my daughter and her family found out they were moving to Tokyo. They are now here (So am I briefly).
She's curious about which Aveda salon you went to. A friend of hers went to the one in Hiroo and was disappointed. It's just down the street from my daughter's apt. across from Arisagawa Park. Your blogs in general have been extremely helpful.
Judy Wendt