Monday, December 17, 2007

Electric Company

Television is very limited here for English-speaking children. We are stuck mainly with Disney Channel Japan (with shows like "Kim Possible" and "Lilo & Stitch") and a few things on the Cartoon Network (like Snoopy specials), plus The Simpsons on the Fox channel - all shows we wouldn't watch if we were in the U.S. (The Simpsons is funny, though.)

Fortunately, we can download some, though also limited, PBS programming from I-Tunes, like two seasons of "Arthur". Even better, I've just discovered a collection of "Electric Company" shows that I watched in the 1970s!

I'm just now watching our first Electric Company with the kids, and it's hilarious to see these sketches again: "A Very Short Book," "Jennifer of the Jungle." (Click the links to see those shorts on You Tube.)

I didn't remember how focused this program was on reading and literacy - an older version of Sesame Street - perfect for Lucinda, though Arno declared it "boring." I also never knew that Rita Moreno, Morgan Freeman, Irene Cara and Joan Rivers were part of the cast.

No comments: