Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Working in Japan

This week I am doing my first work in Tokyo: Editing articles for the English-language Japanese magazine Kateigaho International Edition (KIE). Here is the website.

The Japanese mag Kateigaho is a gorgeous, super-glossy, super-thick, ad-heavy publication about Japanese arts and culture, owned by the equivalent of Conde Nast here, Sekai Bunka Publishing.

KIE has very precise articles about Japanese arts and culture, with absolutely gorgeous photographs, that appeal to Japan-o-philes around the world. The stories are written by Japanese writers who can fully understand and express the cultural contexts, translated into English and then edited by English-speaking editors like me.

It's my good luck that KIE's executive editor, Mary Ord, lives in Kirkland, Wash., near Seattle, and my friend Kim Brown Seely connected us before we moved here.

It feels great to do some work here, and I can learn about Japan along the way.

No comments: