Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Trailing spouse: Mom-leaves-town edition

For the first time since we moved here in mid-Aug, I'm feeling a bit lonely here.

My mom flew back home today after 2 weeks here, and her visit - and the fact that I won't see her again for 7 months - made me recognize how far away we are from our family and US friends.

That might sound silly: how could I not see that earlier? But the busy-ness of life here, the school dropoffs and pickups, meeting so many new people and the novelty of the place smoothed over a lot of the emotional ups and downs of moving.

Also, Blaine is in Thailand this week - so we have gone from a full house to me + kids. Lucinda and Arno handled their grandma's departure pretty smoothly this morning, but there was some serious blowback tonight, with fighting, whining and general fussing and unhappiness.

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, so best to go to sleep and get on with it.

No comments: