Thursday, November 22, 2007

Tokyo Thanksgiving

My mother, Sheila, and stepfather, Blake, joined us for Thanksgiving chez Newsweek, with Christian and Natasha Caryl and their children, Timothy and Sasha. Also at table: David and Eriko (he is the chief press officer at the US Embassy here) and Mike (?) and Jackie and their daughter Emily (he is a fellow Columbia J-school grad in '87, former AP, former Far Eastern Econ Revu, now KPMG). So lots to talk about.

Natalia roasted a terrific turkey, with delicious stuffing, plus mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, asparagus and broc w/cheese. I supplied green beans with almonds and thyme (highly recommend the beans, which do not need garlic powder) and a pumpkin pie. Jackie made pecan pie.

I rescued my pumpkin pie after straying miles from the original New Basics recipe. Just 3 hrs before T-giving dinner, I read to the end of the recipe and found it required... 6 hours of chilling in the fridge. So I left out gelatin, folded in the egg whites, baked it for 40 minutes and it was great.

We've invited the Caryls here for Xmas Eve dinner, and I'm thinking I can rely on Barefoot Contessa rib roast, horseradish sauce, vegetables, bread, potatoes, and maybe Natasha can bring a specialty from her native country, Kazakhstan. For dessert... tiramisu?

No comments: