Saturday, November 10, 2007

Odds and ends

I see so many things that are different about Japan, and I often photograph them - but then forget to post them on the blog. It's Sat night, the kids are sleeping, I'm watching a movie, Blaine is fixing his computer, and it's a good time for me to clear some of them away.

Such as: The farmer from Arno's potato-digging expedition wore these "tabi" boots. (click pic for a close-up view)



This website tells me that "tabi" socks have been worn since the 16th century. They split off the big toe to suit Japanese sandals and clogs, but you also sometimes see construction workers wearing boots like the farmer's, too.

The website says further that "according to Shiatsu theory, wearing Tabi socks benefits the back, the spine, and the digestion due to the acupuncture meridians located between the toes." True?

No comments: