Saturday, June 21, 2008

Not missing

Ack, the week got away from me without the slightest bit of blogging. Was it really Monday that I wrote the last post?

The kids are in summer schools with limited hours, which limits my hours to read, write, blog or swim. And I'm editing another magazine issue, about Tokyo's cultural and city life that will be offered at the Beijing Olympics to promote Tokyo's bid for the 2016 summer games.

As usual, my editing gives me a delightful window into Japanese culture; this time, I'm learning about "Edo-komon" stencil-dyed kimono, the Tokyo subway, Tokyo "city within a city" neighborhoods, advanced metal-molding, and kabuki theater. It feels like I'm auditing a class on Japanese culture and history, with an emphasis on Edo, as Tokyo was called in the 17th, 18th and mid-19th centuries.

I'll find some websites that convey what I'm learning and post them - this week, hopefully, if I can shake myself loose.

No comments: