Thursday, October 18, 2007

Flying by

Wow, the week is flying by, and I haven't spent much time blogging.

Now that the basics of home and school are set up, I'm realizing how different this life is for me than the career-focused American world that compelled me in NYC and, to a lesser degree, in Seattle. Sometimes, this feels like a 3-year vacation - until I have a kid-intensive afternoon and evening, bath, bedtime, that is.

What am I doing with my time? This week I'm spending three mornings at Lucinda's kindergarten to update a library database, making use of my computer-assisted reporting skills. Afternoons at playgrounds with the kids' school friends. A few trips to the gym. Grocery shopping and cooking, a coffee or two with friends. Trying to book a Christmas holiday to Guam or Saipan.

It's surprisingly easy and relaxing to live this way - especially when the kids are at school - but I think I feel better about it because I've chosen to do it in this way, in this place, for a limited stretch of time - a domesticated vacation, I guess.

Is it still part of feminism, to slow one's career and choose this? I'm not sure, but it's an interesting subject to debate.

No comments: