Thursday, June 17, 2010

Back to the U.S.

It's official: we're leaving Tokyo and moving back to Seattle on June 29. We've had a terrific 3 years here -- an excellent family adventure, with great friends, schools and restaurants! -- and it's time to return to "normal" life with a car, backyard and wild salmon on the bbq.

Next projects: Blaine is leaving The Washington Post and will write his third book, "Escape from Camp 14," about a young man who was born in the North Korean gulag and escaped when he was in his early 20s. I'll start looking for work. And Lucinda and Arno will join the ranks at the Seattle public schools.

I've been lax about posting on this blog in recent months, after (1) my computer broke, (2) my camera broke, and (3) as I've been more focused on trying to get a job that would keep us in Japan. (Despite best efforts -- and a lot of support and help from friends -- my job prospects here did not pan out.)

I'll try to post some photos, at least, of some of the sights we've seen in Asia that didn't see daylight yet. Thanks for reading my blog!

2 comments:

STAM said...

Best of luck when you come back to the States. I started reading your blog around the middle of 2008 when my wife and I were thinking of relocating to Tokyo (I found your blog when researching my headhunter, Laurie Lebrun). My job prospects never worked out but I have enjoyed reading your blog for the past 2 years. Best of luck.
Sam

Tomoko said...

Hi Jessica,
I've been reading your blog for a couple of years now, and this is my first time to leave you a comment. I want to thank you for sharing your experience living in Japan with us! I found about your blog when my son was taking Japanese language classes at Sponge. I've enjoyed you blog so much, well written, love the visuals and to read about from an American perspective. I was born in Japan, moved to the States when I was only 6 years young. But your entries reminded me so much of Japan, especially the ones that covered groceries and restaurants. For selfish reasons, I am sad that you are all moving back to Seattle. What will I do not stalking your blog site wondering when you'll write again?!?

Respectively,
Tomoko Bryant